Dilemma of faith

I've been having a 'dilemma of faith' over the past few weeks and God reminded me of a story found in Matthew 14:25. 

The story goes like this:
Jesus has just performed a great miracle of feeding thousands of people. He sends his disciples across the lake without him while he spends some time praying. As the disciples are crossing the lake the wind comes up and batters the boat. Many of the disciples are experienced fishermen so a little bit of wind won't cause too much trouble. What they didn't expect was the figure they now saw moving across the water. They were 'scared out of their wits' (The Message) and thought it was a ghost.
Jesus was quick to comfort his disciples and tell them it was him. "Courage, it's me. Don't be afraid."(NIV)
Peter took this courage and said, "Master, if it is really you, call me to come to you on the water (The Message). Jesus calls Peter out. Peter gets out of the boat (often the biggest step) and begins to walk towards Jesus. But as he sees the wind and the waves he begins to sink and cries out, "Lord, save me!"
Immediately Jesus reaches out his hand and catches him. He says, "You of little faith. Why did you doubt?"

There are so many parts of this story that stir me.

First, when they are scared Jesus calls for them to have courage and not be afraid. Is fear not our first reaction when we feel out-of-control, unsure of the future or our faith doesn't quite stretch to that end? Courage means strength in the face of fear.

Second, Peter took this courage - it wasn't just handed to him. He had to stand up and claim the courage that he needed.

Third, he got out of the boat and began to walk on water. He took the first step, often the hardest. Remember Peter sank, but 11 other disciples chose to stay in the boat.

Fourth, he noticed the wind and the waves and began to sink. Peter got distracted by circumstances. This is where I am at the moment. I still believe God has called me to this, and I want my little girl so much, but the burden of raising $20,000 is taking it's toll.

I read a quote the other day that stated: "Faith isn't believing that God can, it's knowing that He will."
This is often so difficult, especially when we hold prayers that God has answered with 'wait' or 'no' or when we have seen prayers answered so differently than what we hoped or imagined.

But Peter knows the only one who can help. When the situation is dire he calls out to Jesus and without hesitation Jesus reaches out to him. There is no 'waiting' on Jesus' part, He doesn't want to see Peter sink further in order to 'teach him a lesson.' Immediately he reaches out his hand.

"You of little faith. Why did you doubt?" A compelling question when our faith runs short. 

I don't know how, when, where or why but I trust that God will provide for what he has called me to.

You may be sitting in the boat, afraid to take the courage needed for the first step. Or perhaps you are being buffeted about by the winds and waves of life. Maybe you are calling out to Jesus as you feel your feet slipping. No matter where you are look for Jesus. Seek Him, and hold on. I am.

I have found the following verses from Psalm 37 encouraging to keep my eyes focused on Him. I hope it encourages you.

"Commit your way to the Lord,
trust in him and he will do this:
He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn.,
the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.
Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him,
do not fret when men succeed in their ways...

If the Lord delights in a man's way,
he makes his steps firm;
though he stumble, he will not fall,
for the Lord upholds him with his hand."

Psalm 37

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adoption Update #10 The Flights are Booked!

I Became a Mum Adoption Update #9

Our Family Day