Bunny's Coming Home

This is the blog post that I have been waiting to write for almost 4 years because almost 4 years ago I started this incredible, difficult, exciting journey of adoption. 

It is with immense joy that I can tell you that I have been approved to adopt a little girl from the Maharashtra state in India. Bunny is coming home. Adding to that, Bunny is almost 4 years old. Yes, in the same month that I officially started this journey my daughter was born. The last few weeks have been interesting to say the least. Wendy informed me about this little girl in April. This was a referral rather than being 'matched' from CARA in India. There are children that are on the CARA portal that people can see and reserve if they are interested to know more. Being matched from India would have probably taken another year at least. 

The referral came just as my home study needed to be reviewed as it had reached its two year period. This also happened to be while I was in Auckland supporting my mum through surgery. On the Tuesday morning I talked to my Oranga Tamariki Social Worker who had seen the file for Bunny and commented on this being a 'perfect match'. She said that there was very little that needed to be changed on my home study as everything I had previously put in there was perfect for this little girl. My Social Worker was going to send my homestudy off to the New Zealand Central Authority the next day. The New Zealand Central Authority have to approve the match, agreeing that this little girl can come and live in New Zealand and that I have the capabilities to look after her. No small step in the process. 

On Thursday 20 May I was rung by Wendy and told that I had been approved by the NZCA! Exciting news!! Unfortunately I was by myself in a motel room in Auckland with no one to share the moment with. I rang mum in hospital, then my dad and my sister in Christchurch. I then rang my friend Shannon who, along with her husband Alan, had adopted from Thailand 11 years ago. All of these people were very excited but it was still an interesting time hearing news that you have waited 4 years for... to celebrate by oneself. 

Since coming back to Christchurch it has been an interesting few weeks of visiting notaries to sign important documents amidst working hours, finishing a Welcome Book full of photos of Bunny's new family, choosing a middle name and slowly telling family and close friends the news. Those documents are now winging their way to India and I am waiting for other documents to arrive in New Zealand. Once I have signed these with a Notary and sent them off I will wait a few months to get NOC (No Objection Certificate) from India. The documents then go to the Indian courts. This is a long process which involves getting verbals, Writtens, Article 23, Birth Certificate and Passport. The rest of this process can take approximately 6 months but can be longer with the current Covid situation. 

I know many of you will have questions. Some of these I will be able to answer, but questions pertaining to Bunny's story I cannot. That is her story and I need to treasure that for when she is ready to hear it and give her the right to share it or not. I am keeping her name private until I at least have gained custody in India. I know that going forward I have to be very aware of her privacy. Thank you for your support through this rollercoaster journey. It's not over yet, in fact it has years more to go. You are more than welcome to continue on with us for the adventure. Let's bring Bunny home!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Became a Mum Adoption Update #9

Adoption Update #10 The Flights are Booked!

Our Family Day