"What a Lucky Girl"

This is a small pondering about a common phrase people use regarding adoption. 

Over this process some people who have heard my story have said 'what a lucky girl.' I understand the meaning behind this phrase and that it is meant as a compliment but I would ask that if you could please use another phrase. The reason for this is that I wouldn't say that any child who has lost their mum and dad for whatever reason is 'a lucky girl'. Yes, I understand that it is good that she no longer has to live in an orphanage and she now has a family, but it is a travesty to the human race that she got to an orphanage to begin with. 

Think of a child that you know around the age of 4 or 5. Their parents die and they are adopted by a person in a far away country that look different, speak a different language and eat different food. I don't want this to sound harsh but it is important. There is nothing lucky about being an orphan. So here are some options of what you could say instead: "What a gift for you!" ... because she really will be! "what a great adventure" "That's wonderful" or even just "Congratulations." I hope this helps you to understand my thoughts behind this and gives you some options of what to say instead :) Thank you for all your support. I couldn't be doing this without you all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Became a Mum Adoption Update #9

Adoption Update #10 The Flights are Booked!

Our Family Day